Friday, July 08, 2005


Getting more growed up here! Tom boy aged 11. This was my favourite woolly. I used to tear around the village (Laceby) on my red bike and was always taking it to pieces. I went flying around a corner one day and a wheel fell off - obviously didn't tighten it enough. The mudgard got scratched so I found a small tin of red paint and prised the lid off with a screwdriver. Unfortunately red paint spilled over my hands and woolly. I didn't think mum would be very happy about this so tried to sneak past her, doubled up. All she saw was me, bent double with red stuff dripping from my fingers. She thought I'd been stabbed. Far from being relieved, for some she yelled at me! Why do parents yell at kids when they're happy they're alive?? When I was about 4 I was allowed to have a bath alone. I was lying there, ears under the water, listening to the glug glug sound in my ears, eyes wide open, having a lovely time and the next thing I knew ... Mum was looming over me, looking somewhat alarmed and once again I was airborne, she'd grabbed my arm and I was getting a slapping. I gather now she thought I was dead! I sing in the bath now ... that was the order ... if I was to bath alone in future I had to keep making a noise so she knew I was alive. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, Pyk!!! Am I ever glad I wasn't your mother!!! Or that none of my kids (even my son!) never pulled tricks like that on me! I wonder how long you'd have lain in that water if your mother hadn't jerked you out of there! You probably would have drowned, just lying there, curious about what was happening!

Fri Jul 08, 11:21:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Well, you know me .... I think I'm normal, and I have a curiosity about life!

Sat Jul 09, 04:07:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahay - my other half remembers you from way back then. She remembers you & that your mum was the hairdresser. J was the vicar's daughter. I've got a photo of her taken about the same age as the one with you & your mum - I'll show you next time I see you & you can have a giggle!

Wed Jul 20, 07:42:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Good heavens!!! Small world, isn't it? I don't remember much about that time now. I went into hibernation when I was about 12/13 when my boyfriend deserted me for my best friend. Probably something to do with his asking if he could put his hand up my jumper and my response was a puzzleed "What for?" I was always the odd one out, too. The only one that went to Clee Grammar from the village and then we moved to Cleethorpes a couple of years later.
I do remember when I was in the choir though and we went up to Riby Church for a Christmas service and it was the most magical one of my life.

Wed Jul 20, 10:55:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home