Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Storm

OK, nothing on the scale that’s hit the US but we’ve just had an almighty lightning storm. It went away and came back with a vengeance I was pulling wires out of the computer fast as my little fingers could go.
I heard voices outside and thought I’d be brave and have a look, though that maybe Anna was watching it but it was a teenager on her mobile looking bedraggled and asked if she could stand in the doorway until the storm had passed. Of course I brought her in, she was tearful, poor lass, frightened. I would have been, too. I said I’d drive her home. She rolled a ciggie to calm her nerves, and smoked it then I dropped her off home. She said I might find a big bunch of flowers on the doorstep tomorrow – I told her to save her money!
I’d told her, while she calmed about Tora’s exploits one day after a storm. She’d decided to do a cross country run and set out with a map. At some point though the way was blocked and she’d had to set off across fields. She’d got stuck in mud and her shoe came off so she ripped off her shirt sleeve and bound her foot. She got caught in brambles and had scratched arms and legs and finally came to a small village and tried to call home. Couldn’t get through … we didn’t realise it but the storm the previous night had hit our line and fizzled the ansaphone so no phone at all. We were wondering where she’d got to when a car pulled up outside. A very distressed-looking Tora (probably thought she’d be told off) and an even MORE distressed car driver, guy, got out. He explained he’d seen her running along the road looking somewhat dishevelled – and she looked ALL of that – and stopped to give her a lift.
Poor man probably thought we’d think he’d attacked her! She’d gone off without any money and just didn’t know what to do when she couldn’t get through to us so just set off running again. We’re probably talking at least a 10 mile run she’d gone on.
Told her in future if anything similar happened to call the police. I mean, aren’t they there to rescue us?All was well that ended well but I was never so grateful to that stranger.

3 Comments:

Blogger bluefluff said...

With you on the lightning storm, Pyk - it was spectacular! On the first pass, my hubby & daughter #1 had just set off for a spot of evening shopping. The village saw about 6 spots of rain - but two miles away on the M180 they had a torrential downpour. They were tailgating an ambulance, cos all they could see was its dayglo stripes!
We got the rain when it circled back round, though.

Thu Sept 01, 02:30:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I had this guilty feeling that I should have been out there taking pictures of the lightning but soon put that to the back of my mind. When I lived in Texas ... where the apartments were sheet thin, no solid brick, the whole block and the windows particularly would rattle and they were big windows so a darkened room would appear to be in daylight in a night storm. I hated them with a vehemence. Ironing one day I got a shock right up my arm!
I once saw a TV prog which showed man made lightning being hurled at a car being driven remotely in a circle. As the lightning hit the car is just went around the sides and dispersed in the earth thro tyres.
Ever after, in a daytime/evening storm I'd go sit in the car and read a book!
After I'd taken the girl home I wasn't so brave (didn't have to put up a front any more, LOL) and just sat in the car waiting for the storm to abate and then rushed across the road home!

Thu Sept 01, 02:36:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

EXCUSE me ..... the shirts of yours that I ironed weren't non iron nor minimal! Even those need a run over with the iron occasionally, especially when they're stiff with double doses of soap LOL!
No,I won't let you forget it in a hurry! :)

Thu Sept 01, 02:56:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home