Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dispelling the myth of dating Pyk

OK this is the one Jodie was waiting for.
I was receiving texts night and morning from a guy who was pleasant 'nuf but to whom I wasn't at all attracted as anything more than a potential friend.
I could feel he was getting more serious and so I agreed to meet him...out of kindness... and we chose a midway point, at a pub.
He wasn't at all attractive - don't yell at me - I'm allowed to have likes and dislikes in what I want to be seen out with and while we're on that subject, WHY don't some people just DO something with themselves before they put a photograph online? Y'know, comb their hair? Have a smile on their face? Sit upright? Not have the ex's arm in view around their neck and the rest of them cut off the picture??
Digressed, sorry.
Soooo, I arrived at the pub and the guy, hmm, Mr Potter, we'll say, was standing at the bar.
My first impression - he was a Mr Spock clone! He had a pointy blue ear! He was worse than his photograph and he had a poopy stain down his shirt!
Turns out the ear was his mobile phone blue tooth or somesuch. The stain he apologised for, saying that he was just getting into the car and a bird pooped on him! Maybe this was an omen? Normally, when you step in poop, you say it brings good luck. Well, I suppose that's the optimist's way of looking at it, cos the day really can't get much worse if you've got a stinky shoe, can it?
OK, I would have run back in and changed. He didn't
So he bought me a drink (diet Coke) and we retired to a table to chat and order lunch.
I was in an egg, ham and chips mood and so was he and two plates were ordered.
Now, this is where I learned another dating lesson!
We were sitting on a bench seat, side by side, talking. Y'know me, apart from with archaeologists I can talk for England about lotsa things (as long as were talking inanities!) so I was relaxed and my usual self.
Then.... he put his hand on my thigh as I sant alongside him. (Lesson, don't sit alongside new date) Now, I suppose someone a bit more direct than I would have told him to remove the hand forthwith. But polite likkle Pyk, just moved her leg, twisting around, to avoid the contact.
I was sitting holding my drink with one hand and the other resting on the table (also now twisted around).
Next he grabbed hold of my free hand so I put down my drink, chatted a minute then picked up the drink with my grabbed hand! Put the drink down and clasped them together.
Now sitting skewed with hands clasped I figured I was fine!
THEN, he grabbed a hold of my head, pulling it toward his and whispered in my ear: "I can keep you occupied at least three times a day."
Whoaaaaaa, head flew back so fast it almost ricocheted off the wall.
Fortunately lunch arrived ... phew.
I selected one ketchup sachet, tore off the corner and squeezed the contents into a small puddle on the side of the plate.
HE followed suit, with 4 ketchups, 3 brown sauces and a mayonnaise dribbled all over the place. His meal looked like a Jackson Pollock piece of work!!!! Then he started eating it with his fingers. Ahem.
Meal over and hoping to find a silver lining in the cloud, I suggested we just have a look around the town, which I hadn't visited before.
Firstly we were to check on his dogs which were in his car, parked under a tree, it was a warm day.
As we walked outside he grabbed hold of my hand again, which I promptly removed and used it to keep my bag on my shoulder.
The pooches were something of a rare breed and when he opened the boot lid I had to stop myself from laughing cos he looked like his dogs ... they had the same sort of moustachey/beard! He gave them water which they lapped up eagerly and then stood looking at him with drippy wet whiskers!
Dogs watered we ventured on a walk.
He had a passion for reading the postcard advertisements in shops and at the first newsagents he became engrossed in the likes of 'dining room table and 4 chairs £40' and suchalike, while I nipped into the newsagents. I had a plan.
It was a warm day so I bought a bottle of water and was now satisfied that I had one hand to grip my bag and with the bottle my other hand was now occupied so there'd be no handy holding!
I bought a packet of Aspirin for good measure! As he entered the shop I popped a couple of pills and had a swig of water and rubbed my hand across my forehead and frowned a little.
Headache?
Just a bit.
It was a small town and as we reached the end of the main street there was a shop selling home-made ices and I bought us each one.
I ate mine as it came, he had 'hundreds and thousands' and squirty stuff on his - naturally. I ate mine delicately and when he ate, his tache was covered in dripping ice cream and he looked just like his dogs!
We got back to the pub and I said my head was really thumping now and thanked him for lunch.
He asked if we could meet again and I took out my diary and said I was very busy.
Then, he lurched forward to kiss me, drippy ice creamy tache wibbling and I lurched backwards, jumped in my car, wound down the window and bid him goodbye and burned rubber!
Never heard from him again!
Another lesson, say your phone is on vibrate, take it out of your pocket and pretend to read an urgent message calling you away!!!! I wish I'd been told that one sooner!


13 Comments:

Blogger ScaryCheri said...

I used to have my mom call my pager, if I was going on a date I wasn't sure of, at a designated time.
If things were going smooth, then I would casually say "Hi mom, I'm kinda busy, call you later" and if I needed an escape, then I'd tell my date "Oh no!, that was my mom saying my kid is running a fever" or some such lie.
It's probably not good to use one's daughter as an excuse, but it worked!
My mom always enjoyed the heck out of being able to call me in the middle of a date, she's nosey that way...hehe.

Thanks for another great story!

Fri Jun 17, 07:39:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, am I ever thankful I don't have to worry about dating! You did well to endure that disgusting one as long and forebearingly as you did, I'd say. Thanks for the story.

BTW, just noticed an ad in the Scientific American journal this morning that made me think of you -- they have a special dating-site-for-scientists. Says they're looking for "free radicals" who are interested in science and nature. That might open a whole new realm of possibility for such a nature girl as yourself. ;-)

Fri Jun 17, 08:07:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarycheri, when my girls were teenagers (before pagers and cell phones!) , I told them they could use me any time, if they needed an excuse to leave a situation--"My mom says I have to be home such-and-such a time," etc. I haven't read the whole story yet, Pyk. Just got home, and it's been a VERY busy week, and I need a little snooze first. zzzzzzz

Fri Jun 17, 10:02:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Nice one!
Two of my friends texted me, while I was on a date but since I knew I was fine and eating dinner I didn't respond immediately, they got worried and texted a couple of times more and the date took it into his head they it must be guys texting me and I wasn't to be trusted.
There's nowt so queer as folks!

Fri Jun 17, 11:17:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Free radicals??? ARen't you supposed to take Echinachea to combat those?

Fri Jun 17, 11:29:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! What a story! I will have to remember all this in case I ever go out on another date. Not sure I want to try a blind date, though. I think I'd rather know what the guy looks like before I went out with him! He kept his dogs in the boot? ("trunk" right?)

Sat Jun 18, 02:15:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and you're right about the online pictures! I have visited some of the dating sites, and there's one guy who has this "deer-in-the-headlights" look to him. Another guy, though, is the opposite. His picture is a "Caesar-profile" type. And some are so dark, you have no idea what the guy looks like.

Sat Jun 18, 02:17:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I'm not sure about the pix where the guys are half naked unless it's obviously a holiday shot.
I suppose if they're sitting around indoors with no top on they are possibly 'saying' "look what a fine figure of a man I am". For some reason just a head and bare shoulders shot almost seems 'sinister' .. one wonders what's lurking beneath the shoulders!! :0

Sun Jun 19, 11:22:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Boot = trunk, correct! Actually, reading the story even puts me off dating!

Sun Jun 19, 11:25:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody sussex ice cream vans ,sell ya softie 99's before you can gobble them! so be safe ,ask for a 68,at least it gives you time to get your mouth round it first!!!meanwhile back at pyknyk camp Tonto,disguised as as door had his knob blown off!!!!.

Sun Jun 26, 06:46:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i once asked for a date from a girl who i thought was out of my league,and ,yes got told to go do one !!twenty years later and three kids on ,she met me in the street and i said thanks hon ,you saved me a fortune !!but today was a good day,had a thought from a mate and went about my business,then along the way ,i saw a cat on the back of a man with a mat on his lap,and a dog with a log chewing a bit of rope ,in the hope he was going to get crude with a lewd bitch that hitched a ride to the seaside,so when you ask my mate can you take a pic!!!! just remember what makes her pocket tick !!! ..

Sun Jun 26, 07:38:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Poetry comes in all forms!!!

Sun Jun 26, 08:16:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have found that a ringing kind of thing ,bit like a "telephone" works quite well to fend of unwanted ice cream lurchers, if not a "flake" up the passing by folks can save lots of rubber !

Sun Jun 26, 09:07:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home