Sunday, June 12, 2005

Let her eat cake

I can't seem to get away from cake! I'll have to be strict about refusing offers of 'a slice of cake?' today on my round of fayres.
At yesterday's Louth Branch Conservative coffee morning, attended by Lady Gabrielle Tapsell, our MP's wife, she was standing by when a gentleman asked if I'd like a nice piece of very chocolatey cake, adding that I Iooked a chocolate cake girl. The girl bit was nice!
That he even spoke to me was better still because I'm now forgiven for the photograph I took of him two years ago, when standing for the local council elections and my camera was trained on him when the result was announced and he had failed to gain the ward.
After the picture appeared in the paper he was not a happy bunny and told me so in the street but yesterday said it was right at the time - and since then I've taken smiley pix of him so all is well.
Anyway, the cake didn't emerge because we got cracking with the photograph, which ended with my taking a bow after a vote of thanks from Lady G for making them laugh. My balancing on chairs to be taller always seems to make people smile.
It certainly raised a few smiles the day I wore a skirt and stockings!
The then Mayor and another chap kindly shielded my dignity as I climbed onto the chair, with their open jackets, averting their eyes. However, they all stood back grinning when it was time for me to descend, waiting to see what would happen - I jumped off the chair like a kid off the high diving board and fortuntely didn't bomb!
One of the reasons I almost always wear trousers now!
Ahh, so, cake.
As I was leaving Lady Gabrielle approached me - with a WHOLE cake! She'd remembered I hadn't eaten a slice with my coffee, after all, and bought a whole Victoria Sponge off the cake stall, for me to take home!
There's a town parade today celebrating the end of the WWII and townspeople have been exhorted to put out the bunting and flags.
I came across my Union Flag yesterday and wondered if I should fly it somewhere - or maybe just wrap it around me and hope I don't look like a revolutionary?
I made good headway on the sewing yesterday (hope I won't be needing to let the seams out with all the cake!) but I'm sure eyes of needles are getting smaller.
Maybe I need an optician visit? I had to use a magnifying glass to find the hole. I did then realise that Victoria was the last person to use the machine and had been using a fine fabric, thus a fine needle and my vanity was assuaged when I found I could manage to thread the needle without magnifying aid.
Daughter, Victoria and her husband, Danny, are hoping to close on a house purchase on Wednesday, for a property in Alaska. It's a big wooden house; looks a little like a chapel and has a few acres with it.
Goodee ... maybe I can 'pop' over for a holiday now!
Sorry, Tora ... into each life a little rain must fall ;)
Jodie ... we may yet get to meet again but a cookie will be fine with coffee, I'm all caked out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's about one of our 6 inch diameter cookies?? They're usually loaded with macadamia nuts and chocolate chips -- guaranteed low cal, of course!!

I can picture you jumping off the chair after the picture taking. Seems like a logical solution to me ;-)

Mon Jun 13, 07:54:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I just can't get away from cake, Jodie! Took a picture of an 87 year old lady today who insisted on bringing me a cup of tea and two butterfly cakes, one of which was chocolate (for the 'chocolate girl'). I couldn't be rude and refuse, could I?

Mon Jun 13, 08:33:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, no; 'twould be uncharacteristic of you to be rude, and cake is hard to resist. But please tell me what "butterfly cakes" are??

So pleased Tora and Danny have found a new home to buy -- thus assuring a visit by you at some future date. Coffee and cake/cookie or carrot sticks, whatever, will be in order!

Tue Jun 14, 08:22:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Butterfly cakes, Jodie, are individual cakes, like a muffin. You cut a roundy bit (circle!) out of the top, fill the hole with butter icing and then cut the circle in half and place the pieces in the butter cream at an angle, like wings! Et voila!!!Yeah, I don't do rude very well, do I??

Tue Jun 14, 09:58:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! Enhanced cupcakes! I'll have to give that a try.

Wed Jun 15, 07:17:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home