Sunday, June 12, 2005

Gardens visited today

Testing whether I can allow peeps to peek at an album.


Garden Photos (Click on 'Garden Photos' to bring up the album in Yahoo Photos, a separate browser.)

Finding this link I think I've also solved my problem about the links starting with a bullet on a new line. Yeah, yeah, it takes time and once you'd done it you (me) are (am) brill but it's a beggar wading through.

Anyway, if this works, you can see some pix of gardens I visited today. I must have been drawn to water features .. maybe it's the Aquarius in me.

Let's see!!!!
(how exciting!)

Yayyyyyy, that seems to have worked! This way I don't have to have a page as long as your arm if there are lots of photographs to view.

Phew, guess who's grinning now?

So, cake .... I succumbed. At The Cottage, a garden loved and cared for by Bob Lightsey and Neville Edwards, there were some delish looking cakes including a Cinnamon Swirl, which Bob had baked ... I suspect he had a hand in the bright pink strawberry cake but there was also pecan and chocolate cake as well as scones! The guys' garden was really appealing with little nooks and crannies, a shaded area, which in their garden flourished, a garden hut (like a beach hut) with decking in front with comfy chairs and overlooking a pond. They certainly know how to recycle, too ... see the 'garden' made out of an old washing machine. In my garden it would be a heap of metal. In theirs it's a sight to behold!

Well, it just didn't seem right to have a cup of tea and not sample Bob's baking!

The gardens in Sutton were open for charity, under the National Gardens Association scheme. Marigold Cottage garden tended by Stephanie Lee and and her mother, Betty, is in the Daily Telegraph Good Gardens Guide for 2005. Stephanie is a consultant in garden design and I'd say she knows what she's doing!

The Driftwood garden pictures, the 75 year old Phyl Shaw said she wasn't happy opening her garden since it wasn't up to last year's standard - due to the weather and she hadn't yet planted her borders properly. See the border picture? If that's not proper I'll eat my hat.

Owners of the Moorhen garden, Philip and Michele Hurst, had a Monet type bridge (cept in metal) over their pond which was filled with koi and even had a sturgeon lurking at the bottom and looking at the fish that was the best place for it! Once again, a very pretty summerhouse.

Next time I'm asked if I know of any gardens for a magazine feature, I can say YES!!!!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Julie! Maybe those will inspire me to be a little more creative in my small garden space. Also, the album is great. The only problem I had was in getting back to this part. I could get back to the start of the album, but then couldn't get back here without going through the whole thing, so I just went back to my Favorites and clicked on your blog again.

Mon Jun 13, 11:25:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, your description of the cakes is making me drool!

Mon Jun 13, 11:29:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Hmmm, not such a bright spark as I thought I was. The album was supposed to open in a separate window so Pyk's would still be in the background. Drat, back to the drawing board!
I'm sitting here wondering why the heck I didn't take advantage of all the plant sales that were being held in the gardens!
It's amazing how imaginative these gardeners are. In one garden I really liked an old leather boot being used as a plant pot.

Mon Jun 13, 11:30:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos Pyk. The only problem I had was figuring out where to click to get into the photo album. I was very happy with all my flowers this year until I look at those beautiful gardens. Oh well, hopefully it will get better every year.

Mon Jun 13, 03:06:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Wahhhh, Sheryl .. d'ya mean where to click on Pyks or where to click once in the album?
You saw you could make a slide show of the pictures, once in the album?
The link, in Pyks, you obviously found it since you saw the pictures. Maybe I need to write (click) on the coloured underlined link?? Cos it just looks like a heading??
I hear 'Expats do IT everywhere', I can't even do IT at home!

Mon Jun 13, 03:22:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Thank you, adie. Are you using www.blogger.com, too? If so, look to the right of the home page where you'll find 'help' topics and find posting a picture. Don't know if it's just this particular blog site or if others follow the same principle, but with this you can only upload pix to your blog which are lodged online - as I understand it.
Initially for the single photos, I was using 'Hello' from Picasa ... there's a link on blogger to download the programme. When I started thinking about using an album with a link, I noticed Yahoo has photos and on there you can denote your picture for private or public viewing. They're stored online at no cost and you can either email your pix from there or allow individuals a password to view them, or, as I did, use a link, in the advanced options for sharing and blogger help has a link you can copy to put in your post, in HTML (or is it HMTL?) It's all basic cut and paste stuff and a little common sense, once you get the hang of it!

Mon Jun 13, 09:29:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Well done Adie! And you're looking good, gal!!!

Tue Jun 14, 02:00:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such lovely gardens, and your pictures captured them beautifully. I think I like the Driftwood designs best. Got a laugh out of Mercury, or whoever he is, flying about with the world attached to his nether parts.
Blogging w/piccies looks like a challenge, and Adie would be the one to jump right in and do it, too. Good for both of you!!

Tue Jun 14, 08:45:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

As with anything, Jodie, it's easy when you know how. For those with a poor or selective memory though ....
Driftwood is the most 'traditional' looking of English gardens. Wide expanse of lawn and borders filled with flowers. IMO ... I could be wrong!

Tue Jun 14, 10:01:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pyk,
Just love the look of the English gardens. Such a cool and refreshing view.
Makes one want a spot of tea after gardening!!
Looking forward to more of your pictures...do you have a garden?

Thu Jun 23, 02:29:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I've got a postage stamp sized garden at the front ... about 8'x8'? and a yard at the back 10 x 10, in which I have containers with flowers, a couple of hanging baskets and some toms in a trough. I took a picture of the containers, newly-planted, a couple of weeks ago and tomorrow I'll take a picture how it looks now, when the sun's on it.
I actually won a prize, 3rd, in the Lovely Louth competition a couple of years ago, for my front garden, Class of garden which could be seen from the road. I think only 3 people entered! It's a way of getting the town to look pretty without the council having to spend money on it!
Glad my neighbour didn't enter the contest, she'd have won hands down!
I'm afaid I let it slip last year but it's looking OK-ish at the moment though could do with more colour. I've got three mock orange bushes and at the moment the smell is absolutely delightful!

Thu Jun 23, 06:30:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home