Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Invigorating!

I’ve found that I don’t need two weeks holiday to feel invigorated .. in fact two weeks is far too long, the whole of the second week is spent thinking “I have to go back soon!”
I find little trips adventurous. OK, just driving on a motorway is adventurous for me … narrow it down a little, Julie … driving is adventurous!

Romeo and Juliet – a former date and I – no, we’re not Romeo and Juliet – went to see the play at the Derby Playhouse last night.
We’re just good friends!
Peter’s an amateur thespian (but good, dear!) and has had roles in Shakespeare’s plays (with butter and jam) and I think a traditionalist?
Last night’s play was anything but traditional!
There must have been at least 100 youngsters in the audience who are studying the play for their examinations and their delight echoed my own when the play starts … OY, hang on a minute .. if you’re going to see this (it runs until July 2) just stop reading now, will you??
OK it starts with a chuffing great gleaming, American style truck, horned ram’s head figurehead, lights glaring, horn blaring, smoke belching, engine thrumming and looking like something from a Kevin Costner movie (think The Postman/Waterworld)entering stage right.
WOW! I jumped up and down in my seat squeaking with excitement – I’m sure Shakespeare would have approved of such audience participation!
The alternative review. Highlights: Paris’s bum in his white jodhpur type trousers. The white rubber boots the Capulet clan wore, Romeo’s eyes, Mercutio’s satiny/pvc (?) trousers – sorry about the trouser theme - ;) The Nurse was soooo funny. Juliet - great voice, Lady C – epitome of an Edwardian lady (what?), Capulet – dead scary with his walking sticks – I’d have jumped over the moon if he’s said ‘jump’ brandishing them the way he did! Prince on his motorbike (I must have a thing about big engines?) Tybalt’s spooky bit on top of the truck. Sword fights .. Enough, Enough Jules!
Rubber duck, that truck! It was a multi-functional beast. A bath, a bed, a warground.
I know I knew the ending but it made me cry anyway.
Nice Bistro in there with ‘unlimited’ coffee. Nice ladies’ loos, too!
Did I enjoy?
I must get out more often!
Wonderful sense of freedom coming back today. I decided to re-route taking the M1/M18/M180 so I didn’t go through the centre of Nottingham (and get lost again) and managed a liaison – very proper! - with a friend (another ex-date) and I have to interject here that ex-date dates with no pressure are fun – for whom I had the germ of an idea for a book – co-authored???
Will Pyk one day hold a book-signing?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely believe that Pyk will someday have a booksigning! You just have to be sure to put Kansas City on your book tour! Or else hire me to accompany you!

Wed Jun 22, 03:30:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

The first contribution has come from someone living in Michigan, pj so perhaps the US will be on the tour!
Pyk's piqued yer interest, yes? Chortle!

Wed Jun 22, 11:51:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

You know me ...........

Thu Jun 23, 09:27:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home