Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Just call me Michael Fish!

Got the weather seriously wrong, didn't I???
Well, one June 29th in 27 years that isn't sunny isn't too bad - and it MUST have been sunny somewhere in the world, just not in my little one.
It's been mentioned that without having to trawl through previous posts, it's impossible to tell whether further, and amusing, comments have been added. At the moment there's only four weeks' worth of writings but say, 47 years down the line, (hmmm, if I live to 101) there could be a whole mess of words here - thank you --- those who think there already is! :)
Comments under the Ostrich burger pix are still coming in ... runa, who lives in India, gave us an insight into cuisine in her part of the world and under my garden pic she tells us she's got awnings over hers. I've put a link on at the side for her website.
My 'jammies' are still causing comment, as is the string about which side of the bed to sleep, or which end, come to that!
And I've given the definitive definition (can I say that?) of a pikelet. I've got a book called Great British Cooking - A Well Kept Secret by Jane Garmey which has the likes of Priddy Oggy, Pan Haggerty, Pease Pudding, Potted Beef .. yes, there are other things that don't begin with P, of course!

There's Faggots!
I was listening to a radio programme a while back ... in the days before the ratbag stole my aerial off my car, which hasn't yet been replaced and I'm stuck with Radio 2 permanently ... there was a group of foodies in Italy tasting the delights of various sausages, salami, I mean and they went into raptures over these and the faggots, describing them as tasting like pate, but more solid.
So, in Lakings (prize winning Louth Butchers!) while buying an egg custard tart ... fattening and delicious and IMO the best in town, I thought I'd buy a faggot too. Hey, they're good!!
Apparently we can't produce/sell similar tasting salamis because hygiene rules here wouldn't allow sale of sausages that have been hung in a simple brick walled building. It would have had to have been tiled and domestos'd 4 times a day. I wonder why? Isn't Italy in Europe? Some bright spark must know.
Note to self: read the papers Julie, don't just look at the pictures!
The measurements are all adapted for American cooks and I don't have my 'cups' anymore but I suppose a trawl of Dragonfly Kitchen or Chile Peppers might come up with something.
I went to take a picture at an Orthodox Church service today Antiochian-Orthodox (click on it!) and arriving late it was already in progress (me? late? ... again?). It was so interesting so I stayed for the duration. You have to be pretty robust, there's lots of standing and even prostration - but the floor wasn't carpeted so people just touched it. The people who took Communion had been fasting for a couple of days because the service was for special Saints' days - Peter and Paul .. my tummy was rumbling after only a cuppa for breakfast but I did get a piece of bread at the end of the service because nothing is wasted. The fast is actually a vegan diet so it's not like just water. Couldn't even have chips in Lincs though if they're fried in beef dripping!
Managed to get my job times mixed up yesterday and arrived too late to photograph the ribbon cutting at Alford's Memorial Park but made it to the reception for a spot of lunch and chatted with the Vice Chair of Lincolnshire County Coucil and the Chairman of the District Council. Pleasant time.

See what's happening in Mablethorpe.


Hey, then I went to see Dave and Jan Fenton who (with others) are organising the Mablethorpe Marathon! It's to be run on September 10, 2006 (note NEXT year). The first Lincolnshire full marathon, I understand. So all you peeps who like to get your running shoes on sign up and come on over to see the lovely East Coast as you dash past! Hmm, how about a pyknyk party at the same time?
I was going to give you the link but I can't get it to work ... next time!
OK, I can't procrastinate any longer ... must do my invoicing!


6 Comments:

Blogger ScaryCheri said...

Ah ok, got it.
From your dashboard, on the page where you have tabs like "posting" "settings" "template" and stuff,
Click on the "settings" tab, The right under the tabs there is a link "comments" you can click, near the bottom there is a place to put in an email address for having replys to your posts sent.

hope that makes sense

Thu Jun 30, 02:02:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Runa, Priddie Oggies are pasties (a pastry turnover) which came from the town of Priddy, in Somerset, which were filled with pork and Cheddar cheese.
Hey, I love all this information gathering !!!

Thu Jun 30, 02:05:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Great minds think alike, chery! I was posting my comment as I was notified of yours!!!

What would be nice is a way to see posts that have new comments added somehow. Maybe we should suggest it to blogspot - perhaps they could use a different colour for update. I dunno, they're the techy experts!

Thu Jun 30, 02:13:00 pm 2005  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

hehe, interesting also because "fag" means the same thing as faggot here, but different to you, a cigarette, right?

how diverse the english language is when you spread it over oceans...lol

Thu Jun 30, 09:12:00 pm 2005  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

lol, I don't think I've ever noticed that I do , actually, say Budder

Fri Jul 01, 02:13:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Ah, cheri, that was a friend from N. Carolina teaching me new words!
Speaking of new words ... when on holiday, in France, I used to love listening to the tiny tots talking - it was about the only pace of conversation I could follow and understand! In extremis, when explaining to a breakdown service that a friend's car was caput, I got through the whole of my speech until I had to tell them what colour the car was and the word 'rouge' deserted me. I reverted to typical English person by shouting RED - YOU KNOW, LIKE POSTBOXES - which didn't help at all, cos theirs are yellow!

Fri Jul 01, 08:53:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home