Sunday, May 29, 2005

A good end to the day!!

© Julie Coates, 2005
Treverva Male Voice Choir, from Cornwall AND Louth Male Voice Choir who performed at Louth's St James's Church in aid of the Louth Rotary Club CharitiesPosted by Hello
Jeez , I love the power of controlling big groups of guys!!! Julie Coates, fie on you!
I had to climb the church tower for this one to then walk out onto a 2ft (not much wider, honestly, ledge with only a rope between me and a 30ft or so drop!
As I was taking the picture some wag shouted out "Julie, your flies are undone"!!!
The Treverva Choir only had 28 members tonight but they have competed at the Albert Hall and are jolly good. Our choir is more of a 'show' choir and they're great, too.
I have to confess that I shed a tear at the singing.
From My love is like a red red rose to amazing grace, Softly as I leave you, what shall we do with the drunken sailor, California dreaming, bohemian rhapsody, it was all good stuff. Even had Homeless by Paul Simon, brilliant!!!
Our choir's president asked me back to the drinks do they were having afterwards and I worked the room a little, chatting.
I got pictures for the social pages of the Lincolnshire Life (most prestigious of the county mags) and some for the paper and I'll get sets made for each choir to give to them as a memento ... And maybe get an order or two??
A good end to the day!
After blogging all morning I whipped myself into action, emptied containers from last year's blooms, swept the yard and smashed a clay pot to pieces with a hammer so I had some drainage for the pots. This wasn't really a good idea and I KNEW I should have been wearing goggles ... it's OK, I didn't get any splinters anywhere but it was still a very bad idea, J!!
Went to the dump with the old compost/plants and a zinc dustbin. Last year a neighbour asked if I'd like the bin, she thought it would make an interesting plant container (so why didn't she want it?) Jokingly I agreed. The next day it appeared in my yard.
I think that was the day I lost the will to garden.
It is now up t'dump and I'm enthusiastic again. After dump (rubbish, I mean!) I went to the driving range and bashed a basket of balls for 6. Hey they were 90% good balls and went for MILES!!! Remember my tendency to exaggeration, dear reader. But they were good! Then a trip to Wyevales and £25 on bedding plants. Tomorrow I'll get a couple of bags of compost and have fun filling my pots. I hope the bloody snails/slugs haven't eaten half of 'em before I get to plant out! They're voracious!
Speaking of food, apart from a half a plate of nibbles I've forgotten dinner again!
Nipped into the pub before last orders to say hi to some pals and a lady there recognised me as 'the paper lady' and suggested I take pictures of her friends house/garden for the magazine. Will go round for a looksee tomorrow.
In the morning ... 2 job at Sutton on sea 2 at Mablethorpe, Alford's craft market then back here for a 3pm civic ceremonycommemoratingg a flood that rushed through Louth in 1924 drowning a few residents.
Pix to caption, pots to plant, lots to do.
Getting a little nervous about the JazzAid 2005 job on Monday. I came out in a sweat after this evening's bit job. I think it's a stress reaction. Much as I love the job, for me, every picture shoot is a 'performance' The other guys just are quiet and what they get in return is uninspiring pictures. I try to entertain my subjects, at the very least chat to them to put them at their ease.
One hears of actors who are sick with nerves before a performance. I'm calm (ish) before the shoot, to keep the subject calm/happy/laughing but react afterwards.
In my downtime today I was thinking that though I've lived alone for 3 years, it's only the last year that I have had the feeling that I have no-one to care for after 30 years as a mother/wife/lover.
It suddenly dawned on me though that I have me to care for!!! So I'd better be nicer to myself! :)
Here endeth the day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this pic! And I can relate to your sentiments in the last paragraph.

Wed Jun 01, 06:41:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Ahhh, as choir girl to choir girl, I can understand why you love it!! I also love the guys in DJ's; think it's the sexiest outfit on earth for a guy! ;)
Hmmm, but then kilts do something for me, too!

Wed Jun 01, 06:45:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I was singing on another stage that night, so missed out on the overhead shot!

Still, I'm in the other 'top' shot you did of the last choir double act.

We'll get you up on the lighting gantry in the theatre next.

Mon Jun 06, 12:50:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Hold hard, Moriarty!! Lighting gantry?? you mean scramble up those fold away ladders?
Actually .... (grin) I'm getting quite good at shinning up ladders. I'm doing a follow through article on a man who's planted a maze. First time I visited I suggested a shot from up a ladder by his neighbour's garage. Went back last week and the garage is now a house extension. I looked at the roof high scaffolding and went for it! Great view! Thinking about it, Simon, I could have just sat on your shoulders ;) Pyk the intrepid!

Mon Jun 06, 09:30:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home