Saturday, July 16, 2005

Osmosis

I was quite surprised when my daughter, Tora, made a dress. To my knowledge she’d never had a needlework lesson in her life. Her housemistress showed the girls a bit of cooking and possibly some sewing but she was learning academic things. Whereas I, C stream grammar should probably really have gone to a tech college cos I’m soooo hands on. I had sewing lessons and learned diligently.
So I asked Tor where she had learned to sew and she told me she watched me! That came as a surprise. I was never aware that I was watched. I examined the dress, all the little things like cutting V’s into arcs so the material would lay (lie?) well, all there. I was very proud of her.
Today I was attempting to sunbathe and the little boy next door was busy hammering and sawing.
I looked over and he was trying to saw with the wood on the floor, holding up one end, and using a hack saw.
Nope, that wasn’t right. So I gave him my saw and I suggested he get the stool in the yard and use it as a saw horse. Nah, put your knee on the wood, to pinion it. OK.
Me head down back on sunbed. Hmm, the sound wasn’t right. Hey, S, you need to use long strokes. Better, but not right. OK, use a stronger stroke on the backward pull, S.
Then it occurred to me where the heck was this all coming from?? Osmosis, I used to watch my Daddy, a joiner, when I was a tot. He was only in our midst until I was 7 so I suppose I took it in at an early age.
Been quiet, me, a couple of days. I’ve been sorting the insurance and getting a new camera and flash unit. I’m absolutely thrilled with it but yesterday morning when I called the insurance for confirmation of acceptance of claim on the camera, too and was told they hadn’t received the fax and the claims assistant had been elusive all week, I just saw it drawing out further and further, with jobs I couldn’t do and promises made to and the little spare being inadequate, I just sorta quavered on the phone, wobbled, despair set in and I burst into tears!
Look, it’s like a racing driver without a car! A photographer NEEDS a camera? I, I, I, more tears.
I was told to resend the fax (it went to claim’s email), which I did, hastening down to the library to do so, and mooched around feeling full of woe and within the half hour there was a complete turnaround, call came OK-ing camera. Big smiles and all is well with the world now.
Maybe I should go on a photographic holiday and learn to use it to the best advantage?
Certainly a holiday would be a good idea, 26 days without a break, no wonder I burst into tears. Exhaustion! It’ll be over in a couple of weeks when the schools break up. Roll onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Oh, it wasn't premeditated, I just felt despair wash over me! I much prefer Badedas! Never did get the guy on the white charger when I bathed in it though. Mind, just as well, my bathroom isn't very big!

Sun Jul 17, 11:33:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Confession: Never seen Desperate Housewives!

Mon Jul 18, 09:59:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started to watch the first show and turned it off after about 10 minutes. I was surprised when it got to be such a hit--the big hit of the year, really.

Fri Jul 22, 04:16:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I've still no idea what it's about but I suppose there's a clue in the word 'desperate'???

Fri Jul 22, 04:02:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home