Wednesday, January 04, 2006

How's yer belly off for spots?

I believe that's a sort of jolly greeting. In fact I just googled it and didn't get much of a response. It means, of course, "How are you?" I'm not sure what the response is supposed to be, if there's a proper one, like Ca va? and you say Ca va. Which seems a bit daft but the cheek kissing that goes with it is nice!
I was watching some young people greeting each other, in Geneva, few years ago and they exchanged Ca Vas and the girls/boys exchanged kisses and the boys shook hands. That was really civilised. I suppose the high five is a different method of greeting one's friends but we Brits with our 'How do you do?", which we don't really want answering is a bit stand offish, but it's what we say, eh?
We, as a family in my childhood, didn't do the kissing thing. Simply said hello to people. When I moved darn sarf and into the cheek kissing circles it was a bit scary.
I used to worry silly about giving dinner parties. Of course I only invited people I liked and who were friends but still I'd worry for a week or so about what to cook and by the time I'd finished cooking it I'd lost all my appetite. Also worried about whether I was supposed to do the kiss thing on greeting people and saying goodbye.
Went to one friend's for dinner and was astonished that she'd only thought about what to cook and bought the ingredients the same day!
Oh-oh ... methinks there must have been some insecurity lurking, huh?
I'm much more spontaneous nowadays. Yes, I've had my insecurity wobbles but I've been touched by people over the last couple of years or so, their stories when I've met them to write or take a piccie, or have got to know people and then found something befell them.
One lovely lady I hadn't seen for a while I caught up with at a coffee morning. We passed pleasantries and as she was going out of the door a friend of hers told me that the lady had been widowed and then she chattered on a bit, padding the story out and I was actually shocked and upset by the news and just took to my heels and raced after the lady, threw my arms around her and hugged her.
We chatted for 10 mins or so and when I got home I printed out a photo of her husband which I cropped from one I'd taken at a function and mailed it to her.
She was really happy to receive that and we continued to hug when we met.
Don't suppose I'll see her much now.
I don't think I'm a fair weather friend.
I think I'm a bad weather friend.
I'm there for people when they're having a bad time and I try to make them smile and feel better and then I disappear when they're up and running.
I found when I lost my mother that rather than having people cross the road to avoid talking to me, I preferred to talk to them and discuss the situation. A catharsis I suppose.
I interviewed a WWII Veteran and as he spoke the tears ran down the cheeks of both of us. I continued to see him at various functions and we always had a hug and kiss and guys (Rotary)would look a little askance at this but it was just friendly in remembrance of the tears we had shared and of the friends he had lost.
Actually, the guy showed me some of the Special Services paraphenalia he had, a string saw type thing, a knocker-outer-er and a stilleto knife and a book on unarmed combat. He even said 'take them home and look at them'. I didn't like to say no and hoped to God that I didn't get stopped by the police on my way home! A walking armoury!
I had a spending spree today for some work garb. Taking a leaf out of Jenny Joseph's poetry book I decided I shall wear purple (though I don't consider myself 'old') ... and shades of ... but not a red hat. Well, I HAVE worn a red hat but not with purple. Mind you, if the hat fits, wear it!
I bought so much I haven't the energy to take the tags off yet! Hope it fits cos I've definitely gone up a size, sigh.
I keep getting calls from the two gyms I visited. I do wish they'd stop calling. I see it's their number and just don't take the call. I mean, I know when I want to go there ... when I'm ready and when I've decided which one to go to ... I reckon it'll be the one with the toning tables so I can just lie there (do I mean lay there? I get fed up of wondering which is correct) and let the tables do the work and I'll do the aching the next day anyway!
Hang on ... sherry ....
OK, I'm recharged ...
I wish I hadn't given them my number now. Surely they have plenty of people with new year's resolutions visited them in scores by now??? Or maybe the resolutions didn't get beyond Jan 2nd?
I'm resolved to do it - when I'm ready!
I sure won't be using the sauna and steam room facilities for a wee whilie.
I've got spots on my belly!
I had a similar rash in the small of my back last summer and put it down to lots of work and being a fixture for hours on the sofa with my back pressed into the cushion, while I worked.
However, I recalled having something similar and more widespread a few years back when I'd had flu and was on antibiotics (and incidentally keeping myself well wrapped up) and was told to stop taking the tablets since I was probably having an allergic reaction.
So I read the instructions on my current medication:
May cause sweating and itchy rash, if this occurs stop using immediately and see your doctor.
So I did.
But she thinks it's v. probably a heat rash so I'm to continue taking the tabs and prescribed a cream.
I've just read the possible side effects of the cream: "if the rash gets worse during treatment, you may be allergic to it, in this case, stop using it and see your doctor."
So next time someone enquires how my belly is off for spots I suppose I should tell them it's fine and covered in them!


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... that's a little rash isn't it?

Fri Jan 06, 10:58:00 am 2006  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

The cream is definitely helping!

Fri Jan 06, 11:21:00 am 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

Cream...
Cream covered Pyk...

Ymmmmmmm!

Fri Jan 06, 12:48:00 pm 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home