Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Caught between a rock and a hard place

Did I mention I had an eye test at work?
I only had one last November but felt that my varifocals were unsuitable because I couldn't actually find a comfortable part of my specs to view through even though I highered my chair (leaving my leggies dangling), lowered the VDU, pulled it further forward, pushed it further back ... So, persuaded to test me again the work optician said my right eye prescription was almost 'one out' ... not sure what one out is but it did confirm to me that the prescription wasn't 'all that', remember I've been going on about fuzzy vision since the year blog?
For the first time ever I'd been tested at one optician and had the specs made up at another one ... mistake, don't do it!
Went back first with old and new scripts to the place which had made up the specs, pointing out that the frame had chipped already, which I wasn't too chuffed about having paid a total of around £300 ish. They said no prob, they'd replace the frames but as far as they were concerned they had put the correction lens in (tho they didn't test them on that day). Today I went to the testing optician with both prescriptions. They checked the lens and said they thought the right one was slightly out on the reading element and the fact that the two scripts were at variance wasn't important, it was only slightly different and shouldn't make much difference ... well, maybe it wouldn't to their eyes. They suggested I go back to the place which made the specs and get the lens checked.
Back I toddled and they already had a new frame awaiting me. They checked the lens and said as far as they were concerned it was correct to the script but offered to send them back to the manufacturers to check and will keep the frames for me for when I get it sorted.
I'm not sure I'm going to get it sorted, quite honestly.
The testing opticians DID say to come back if I still had a problem but were obviously on the defensive.
So I'm sitting here with my old specs on, which was a different prescription again.
Hopefully the new ones for VDU use only will arrive soon. Actually, the frame and lens were free and they look much better than the £300 ones anyway!
Sucks!
Inland Rev's chasing me ... compliance unit. Like I really need that.
Pension Dept has renamed me. I phoned 'em to at least get my name correct and I certainly don't want to be the new person cos my pension, already pitiful, was £10 a week less than the first time they forecast it.
My floor's covered in papers.
I wish I understood these things!
Anyway, the good news. 6 month check up at the hospital and all is well. One of the clinic nurses was on the ward when I had my op and she was soooo sweet when she recognised me and gave me a hug and the bestest of smiles!

3 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

Glasses and teeth cost a fortune. If it isn't the optician after your money it's the dentist. Great news about your check up.

Tue Mar 07, 09:50:00 pm 2006  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Got teeth on the 17th and still waiting to hear whether I've got on to a new dentist's list. One crown I've got is on it's last life, if it goes it's either a £2K + jobbie with a screw in, or a tooshie on a plate for somewhat less.
Watched one of those total makeover progs where a lady had veneers on her teeth. She looked great but the teeth underneath were so shakey the dentist didn't expect it to last very long.

Tue Mar 07, 10:27:00 pm 2006  
Blogger kat said...

My sister had veneers on her two front teeth. They kept coming off. She swallowed one of them and of course it cost her to get it replaced. When the second one came off she super glued it back on rather than go to the dentist. Eventually she had the teeth crowned.

Wed Mar 08, 01:32:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home