Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bomb!

On the way back from a job this evening ... presentation of a LIVES training kit and training for two volunteers from ConocoPhillips worth £500 to the Goulceby and Scamblesby LIVES First Responders group, I had a text from a friend asking if I knew why Keddington Road was blocked by the police. Said I had no idea but that I'd go investigate.
En route I had a call from my reporter, Jill, asking me to go over there. We had the RLC (Royal Logistic Corps) Bomb Disposal Unit in town. Up I trot to get a good view .... "back back!" Oops, sorry! No idea what it was but I took a piccie anyway. I'll have to read the paper tomorrow to find out, LOL.
I was just thinking this morning of asking tora if she's got any photographs of her new house and lo (and behold)delivered by postie was a sheet of photographs of the house. Which is a bobby dazzler. There's a spiral wooden staircase. I grinned seeing that. When Tora was a toddler we had an open (but straight) staircase that gave me palpitations watching her negotiate them when she started scooting around. Actually, she was crawling at 6 months and walking at 9 months (as was Charles - I obviously didn't feed them to make them fat enough and static babies)and I needed eyes in the back of my head to keep them out of harm's way.
I learned one lesson very early on. If you think there's a danger, act upon it immediately. One day, dealing with a pail of nappies, (the OLDEN days before Pampers, which I couldn't have afforded anyway)it occured to me that the outward opening back door wasn't on the latch. I thought I'd deal with it 'in a minute'. Seconds later there was screaming and sure enough tiny Tora had toddled up to the door (9 months and spare blonde hair standing on end, given it a shove and landed on her face on the concrete. Oops!
I think I'm going through a second childhood! Stand up that person who sniggered! OK, I've barely left (stop itttttttttt) my first one but today I bought an Irish Tin Whistle and a recorder! LOL. I bet my neighbours are going to bless me!
Popped into the back room at the Newmarket last night where a bunch of people meet to play folk music and for the second week running Simon handed me a tin whistle to play. Well, it's ok when everyone's playing loudly to play out of tune but ... he explained something about I could only ever be a note or two out of tune, which sounds better than a note or 10, doesn't it? Not knowing the tune I didn't try to follow every note but settled for some form of harmonizing (only a couple of notes out of tune).
Whatver, it was fun so today I bought my very own whistle and book and had a good run at Old MacDonald had a Farm and Early One Morning and maybe I'll listen to the CD tomorrow and finally progress to the back of the book and The Harvest Home??
The recorder? I found my fingers finding the notes after many many years of Barcarolle.
Had my hair cut and multicoloured again today. Cut's good but I'm disappointed with the colouring. Yes, it's purple and red and blonde again but not half so shocking as last time :)
Next time!!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you'll be blowing your own next week then! Hope it's a 'D' whistle they gave you.

I may not make it as I'm down in deepest Suffolk that day - don't know what time I'll be back.

The Barcarolle eh! Bit of posh on a Tues night then. Mind you, we do a bit a Handel & of course old Joe Green's number about the Hebrew Slaves (otherwise known as The Chorus Of The Hebrew Slaves from Act III of Giuseppe Verdi's opera Nabucco).

What with the whistle, the new hair style & the jimjams, you'll look right at home at a folk festival. Better find you a straw hat & some bells for Alford BH.

Thu Aug 11, 01:13:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got the grandson (aged 10 months) turning up from Sweden later today, so we will be finding all those toddler danger areas we've never had to think about in this house before.

Thu Aug 11, 01:18:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Apparently it was a 'suspect device' which the Royal Logistics Corp took to Donna Nook beach (oh I do like to be beside the seaside) where a controlled explosion was carried out. Apparently it would have made "a shocking mess in a house".
That's going to be my new excuse when the house is untidy. "Oh do come in, sorry about the untidiness ... I'm afraid I'm a suspect device ... I make a shocking mess."

Thu Aug 11, 10:42:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Yup Simon, it's a D cup, I mean D whistle. They D ones with a green plastic blowy bit and brass metal bit and and since that's like yours I wanted a different one, with a black plasticky blowy bit. But then the one with an instruction booklet was a green one and came as a package, so I asked the lady in Musicality, ever so very nicely if I could swap the green one for a black one. She pointe dout that the green one in the box wasn't specially cellophane wrapped, like the black one on its own was, so I suggested she put some cling wrap round it and could I please, please have the black one and not the green one which came with the book and CD. Still following me?
Anyway, she said I was very cheeky and gave me it! Hah!
Oh, what I actually wanted to say was I'm not going to be there either!
I'll be learning how to play the castanets!
Hmm, maybe I could wear those instead of the customary Morris bells?
I'll clack instead of jingle?
I've got a straw hat already! But should I be wearing my Press hat? I've got the tight black trousers, too, but it's a long time since I had knee-length black socks.
I think guys wearing long white socks looks soooo sexy!
Well, it can only be an improvement on a naked guy with ankle length black ones, can't it?

Thu Aug 11, 10:49:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

400 bombs went off , almost simultaneously , in 63 of Bangla Desh's 64 districts , y'day . Despite the mess , only 2 unlucky persons died -
I haven't a clue who did it , or why ! after all , Bangla Desh is a muslim country with all sorts of radical groups nesting there . Like angry little hornets .
We should teach our kids not to play with fire crackers - I think thats where the 'bomb' mentality begins . Make a loud bang , shock 'em - watch 'em run !like most games , it just becomes serious stuff , as they grow older and nastier.

Thu Aug 18, 08:39:00 am 2005  
Blogger ScaryCheri said...

ya can't just post about bombs then go off and not post for a week!!

I worry easily

Thu Aug 18, 12:38:00 pm 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/bish/e_1_2005-08-18.html

Going to the movies tonight - these are the options !

Sat Aug 20, 08:58:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Fear not!!!!
I'm back!!!!

Sat Aug 20, 08:12:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home