Thursday, September 29, 2005

I'm being serviced

Well, not me personally, you understand - my bicycle! I confessed to the Bike Shop man ... I've renamed him the Bike Doctor ... that I bought second hand while I'm getting used to being back on the road and that a. I've broken my front reflector, b. I want mudguards (yeah, I'm a wimp) and c. I want a comfortable seat!
He found all the appropriate accessories for me then I had the bright idea of asking if he serviced bike. Yes, of course he does. I'm taking it in on Sunday and he's going to put all the bells and whistles on it (do I need a bell or could I just shout "OY, SHIFT" ) The Bike Doctor's going make sure the handle bars are at the correct height (maybe that'll fix my wobbling?) and fit the 'lady seat' and make sure it's at the correct height and angle. It's got a hole in for air flow - through, not out! and channeled 'for comfort of your soft tissue' - I just said 'my bits got numbed' .. he seemed to understand that well enough!
Went to do pix of the Community Volunteer Car Service Inagural Charity Golf Match presentation of awards at Sandilands Golf Club. Very kind, they were, I was invited to help myself to dinner from the buffet and had pudding brought through to me too!
Friendly guys - I got kisses goodbye! One was so nice I said "do it again!" (joking) and he did! He turned around to wave goodbye as we went in our separate directions when driving away. Hmmm.
I was asked if I'd consider giving 'my talk' to some elderly people by Derek, who is a member of the Sutton on Sea Gentleman's Club, The Old Fossils, to whom I gave my very first talk. Well, truth be told I've only given it twice .. the second time to the Louth Rotary Club!
Mind you, they did all stay awake. At least if the next audience falls asleep it may not necessarily be my talk which is to blame!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a legal requirement for a bicycle to be fitted with an audible warning device. If that's a fog-horn in the saddle or not, I don't know!

Fri Sept 30, 09:16:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Like it, that made me giggle. Bet I could yell louder than my tinkly bell. On the other hand, us Brits are a bit reticent about talking to others, let along yelling. I mean, even though a golf ball is 100 yards away going to hit someone, I hope they'll move out of the way before I have to shout FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Fri Sept 30, 11:43:00 am 2005  
Blogger Wendy said...

My mountain bike has a girl seat with the vent. (I call it a vagina, cuz, well, you'll see) I have to say the vagina seat still makes my "bits" bruise. As though I have been out riding a horse...BUT (hehehe, but, butt, seat...get it?) after you ride it more and more, your tush will acclimate and toughen up.

Fri Sept 30, 06:43:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

I don't want a toughened tush!!!! I want the nice soft one I have now! Sheesh, as if wrinkles aren't enough to cope with, now I learn that riding a bike to be healthier means I'll get a tough tush! Tough luck!
The saddle actually looks awfa tiny - I think there'll be some overhang.

Fri Sept 30, 09:22:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

ack, you're being a wimp, Pete!!

Sun Oct 02, 03:09:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home