Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Postie, postie don't be slow

Be like Elvis, go man go!
Phew, I just spent a couple of hours (why so long, I don't know) wrapping 'someone's' Xmas pressies to send abroad, taping up the box, etc and trotted to the Post Office.
I got the indrawn breath through teeth treatment and head shaking.
"You should have put it in two boxes"
Pause while he looks at me with raised eyebrows.
"Nah, I'll only have to buy another box and untape that one and then tape two of them."
"You sure?"
"Yes!"
"You'll need a special form, I have every one here except that one."
"Can you look a bit harder?? You ARE a post office!"
"You'll have to fill it in. Write everything in these boxes, I'll do the rest."
.............
"I hope they don't read the list, the presents won't be a surprise"
"Oh, you should have just written 'presents' - they won't open it anyway - do you want to write it again?"
"Nah" (Queue 5 deep behind me)
"Oh, you should have left the value blank, they automatically give you £150. Do you want to write it again?"
"Nah"
"Do you want it fast or slow?"
"How much?"
"£ XX "
Pyks faints clean away.
Had to clean up my computer.
It's been telling me I'm low on disk space.
I didn't worry too much because a friend has a BIG giga hard drive for me, we just need to make the exchange.
The warnings ballonos were getting more regular.
Then they changed from amber to red
I heeded the message and thought I'd better archive one or two of the 5,000 piccies on here but found the machine needed to make a copy before transferring (well, best to be safe than sorry) but it halted part way through (already had been going about half an hour!) and told me there wasn't enough space.
New tactic, moved the folder to D drive and tried again but in the meantime responded to a request, did I want some unnecessary/old files deleting.
Yeah, OK ....... got a message that I now had 106MB of Windows space available.
I wasn't just Low, I was "bleeping" low!
Spent hours today transferring files to disks, very tedious but necessary.
Why's my house look like a bomb's hit it after I've walked in?
Got ironing, accounts, invoices, mail to open, story to write, pic tonight, couple to make appointments for. All this reminds me why I only used to ever go out for an hour occasionally, at night.
Still, soonest started, soonest finished.
Well, I don't see it ever being finished but at least it won't be so much to think about, eh?
Cold, innit?
Guy knocked on the door last night ....
"I'm from NPower .... "
"Excuse me but I'm busy working"
"Oh yes, well, so am I"
Bloody cheek .... is that what they tell them to say to customers?????
"Do you pay your bill by standing order?"
"Why do you want to know?"
"Well, you could change your gas to us."
"I can't be fagged to wait 3 weeks for the meter to be changed. I hate making appointments. And my house is now getting cold with this door open, good night!"
Another knock this afternoon.
"Hello, I'm from .... whatever ... I saw you yesterday and you said you were out."
"I was, I'd just left the house."
"Would you mind answering some questions?"
"I'm really busy, I'm working."
"Oh, you are of course over 35?" (What's he mean, OF COURSE???)
"Yes."
"You're under 55?"
"Erm, just."
"You work more than six hours a week?"
"I won't do if I keep answering the door to people asking me questions! I'm up to here, thank you, goodbye."
I think I'll go back to my home being my castle and stop answering knocks on the door ... mind you .....
ring ring, ring ring
Thinks ... I'm dashing for an appointment for which I'm going to be late anyway, there's no number showing so I don't know who it is, I'll ignore it, there's an answer facility.
Get the door locked and dashing down the road and I get a chorus of the Mexican Hat Dance on my mobile.
"Oh hello, I've been given your number to buy a picture and you didn't answer on your home phone.
Bugger, the phone's just going ...........
It's OK, it was 'ma mannnnnnn'!!!!
Ah well, back to the keyboard ............

4 Comments:

Blogger ScaryCheri said...

you totally helped me get over my "poor me, no one ever stops by to visit" mood.

If I think that too much I'll probably end up with peddlers and wholy rollers pounding at my door

Tue Nov 29, 11:28:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Ah, hopefully the lastest blog won't put you back in the 'poor me' mode!!!
It's not meant to be a poor me - I just sorta feel I haven't really expressed myself lately and I'm to be 'me' then I have to do that cos I'm writing the blog for me and it's just incidental that people read it.
An area of Grimsby I was in the other day ... looking at properties for sale ... a number of houses had the 'no hawkers' signs on their doors.
I'd better get a sharp shovel in which case cos it looks like I'll need a moat, as well as a drawbridge for the castle!!!

Wed Nov 30, 01:36:00 am 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mum,

Sorry about the post office incident. And thank you. xx

Wed Nov 30, 02:11:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Ack, don't be daft; what would I have had to blog about if I hadn't had that wonderful encounter at the Post Office???? Just don't read the list on the box - or the cost of postage. I didn't mind paying it, that's part of the gift and the joy of giving and probably cost more than the tokens inside the box which hopefull will arrive this side of December 25th!

Wed Nov 30, 10:35:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home