Sunday, November 13, 2005

Remembering


The water feature (with fish) of which the Sutton on Sea War Memorial is the centrepiece. From the middle section, closest to front on piccie, I was taking pictures of the rededication service of the war memorial, balancing on the outermost wall when the wind caught me. I decided that bouncing on large boulders and flattening the Salvation Army Band was not an option so let the sway take me backwards .. well, I didn't have any choice, really, and landed IN the water feature, up to my knees. The boots I was wearing were 'fashion', part suede, part woolly so they just soaked up the water.

As I continued falling, trying to regain balance lots was going thro' my mind, taking in that the vicar was praying, not eveyone's head was bowed, some were looking a tad horrified at me slowly sinking into the water and sheesh, I hoped I didn't make a huge splashy noise or squeal if I ended up sitting in the cold 'bath'! I did, automatically, hold my camera aloft ... ever the professional!

After the service there were people asking if I was OK, some smiling, some laughing ... one guy said 'Thank you so much for being so funny." At the Meridale Community Hall, just by the memorial, there was an exhibition commemorating all those on the memorial, which had been researched, I believe, by Tony Cumberworth, including pictures taken in French cemetaries of gravestones and of commerative plaques where no body had been able to be recovered.

The exhibition was very, very moving.

In the cafe area where we all warmed up with coffee/tea, I took off my squelching boots and hung my socks (clean that morning!) over a radiator, to dry out, to people's amustment. Lost my poppy, too.

In fact I'm on my third poppy!

At Mablethorpe this morning, a service was held in The Dunes. Unfortunately I (we ;) ) had to leave to dash back to the Louth ceremony but I would have loved to stay through the end since it was to culminate with poppy petals being released on to the stage. Apart from being touching, that would have made a great photograph.

I DID keep still, for the two minutes silence and not take a picture. Got told off by a lady one year, saying I'd been bouncing all over the place. True, I had, but not at that point, nor would I.

Can't please everyone all of the time, huh?

This has been a long weekend, it feels, that has gone quickly. On Friday evening Ian and I went to Louth Playgoers theatre to see You're Only Young Twice. It was great fun, Gordon Adams has to be congratulated on playing his part of Gordon very amusingly.

We then checked out The Greyhouse pub which has just reopened. All designer, sofas and leather banquettes. Very nice.

Yesterday afternoon we played 18 holes at Woodthorpe. This was my second game in two years and I played worse than the first time a couple of weeks ago, in Scotland!! It was a longer course and I had been used to playing 9 holes, in Portugal, 3s an 4s, so I started getting tired, which actually, almost coincided with my game improving slightly - maybe tiredness meant I wasn't trying so hard? My language got stronger, though even if my game didn't!

Ian was great, carrying his clubs, pulling mine and holding my hand to jolly me along as well. It must be like taking a 12 year old out. OK, I break just like a little girl but .... I do other stuff just like a woman!

A bit more culture in the evening, a concert by Louth Chamber Choir at St James' Church which I was enjoying but it was lulling me and when Ian saw me dropping off to sleep, he gave me the wakey wakey nudge - thank goodness - before I started snoring!!!

We had to repair to the Greyhound again to waken me, at the interval. No sense in staying and snoring my way through it, huh?

It was chilly last night, the roads and pavements (and my car!) had been salted.

Well, I haven't sent any more job applications off since Thursday but tomorrow I'm going to spend the day in the sales office of a magazine for a look-see, not an interview per se but a kindness, favour to me (though there were none owed) to see what goes on in sales and see if, maybe, I can hack it. Being people orientated isn't enough for sales (damn!).

Going along to the Lincs Sommerliers group meeting on Monday evening, oooo la la, tis one with an arome francais and I get to meet Ian's friends. I couldn't really reciprocate in the introducing to friends department since mine are a moveable feast .. whoever's at t'pub .. but it became obvious the last couple of days that my work has provided the majority of my friends. Whatever I end up doing, workwise, I'm glad of my time in this Louth/Mablethorpe/Sutton community among such lovely caring people.

OK, gotta get on with my captioning.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home