Friday, November 04, 2005

Smells - Oh and it may help prevent flu!

I suppose I should really have written aromas, or scents or perfumes? Smell would denote something less than pleasant and my house smells exceeding pleasant at the moment!
Peppermint, nutmeg mixed in a carrier almond oil for massage are wafting from the kitchen. I placed the mixer bottle on some kitchen paper, sure to spill some and then put the paper on a warm radiator and the wonderful spicy aroma is wafting through.
In fact, if you can have a cacophony of aromas I think I've created one!

I'd just started ironing and had used some Comfort Vaporesse to create the sssssteammm-heat!

Also got a burner going in the sitting room, where I've just drifted through and used a few drops of relaxing oil in that. I can smell lavender, most definitely, but not sure what else.

What more do I need? Hmmm, how about someone to use the massage oil on.

Julie Coates, you cheeky monkey!

Juniper, I so wish I'd bought some! Juniper berries are used in making gin, that lavender'y smell, huh? In fact it's been used for a wide variety of purposes over the ages, even in cannibalism -The Juniper Tree (In folklore, healing and cannibalism).
It's an antiseptic and in the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, which is believed to have killed some 20,000,000 people worldwide it was sprayed in flu wards to prevent air-borne infection and found to be quite effective.
How do you quantify 'quite effective', I wonder? Did fewer people suddenly not die? Was the strain of flu less virulent?? The statement 'quite effective' should come with examples! Unfortunately I can't give you any, cos I just copied it and I wasn't around in 1918.!

'ere you lot, don't all go rushing out to buy it before I've got myself a bottle, (and hiking up the price!) since I'm the one passing the info on.

"Get yer bird flu antiseptic 'ere, roll up, roll up."

Now, just remember me when you're sittting there, pretty, with the flu bug having passed o'er your house!!!

The wood smells good and also acts, I read somewhere, as a deterrent to midges.

Hey, just had an absolutely brill idea ... midges about in Scotland late summer (maybe early, too, dunno, didn't see any!).

Well,you're hardly likely to pocket a hanky with Juniper oil dabbed on it and wave it around Stephen Fry style, are you? Hankie waving just doesn't seem to be the done thing nowadays. Why did people wave them out of train windows ? All those bogies and germs? Though I suppose it's better to wave them OUT of a window than in the carriage?
Hmm, I suppose you could always say it was Olbas oil on the hankie and it was to prevent blocked nose?
Anyway, a really good and very practical way to carry the Juniper wood then would be either as a stave, and be a Morris Man Dancer OR to have one of Laguioles superb corkscrew knives.

Ahem, I do get to the point eventually!

I first read of these in .... who's that guy that wrote about living in France??? (Peter, erm, Peter? Peter? Peter someone or other? )Y'know the one who set 'em all off ... next thing we knew there was then Living in Tuscany, Living in Spain, etc etc. Almost became as popular as the Collins Litte Gem books.

Digression .. did you have any of those books? I came across a stand with them on in Spencers Newsagents, in Louth. There were sooo many titles. Herbs and spices - that wasn't around in my childhood. We had normal things, like Dogs, Cats, Trains and Mushrooms.

We only ever came across two types of mushroom though and they were in the shop so didn't actually have to decide whether it was poisonous or not.

'nother digression ... I adore chanterelle mushrooms. They're aromatic Love porcini, too. Amazing how much they taste like pork!

A lady from Switzerland was on the Steve Wright in the after 'international' quiz show yesterday and she said one of her hobbies is picking mushrooms, a couple of kilo a day, in the season (now) to take home and eat.
How wonderful, huh?
In fact Tora went mushroom picking a few weeks ago. She had her book with her after a couple of picks and found that one she had been discarding as poisonous is in fact edible and very tasty!
I've tried the dried mushroom and the taste is fine but sometimes there seems to be residue of soil Not only do you rehydrate the mush, you rehydrate the mud!
Chantrelles in a fondu, with those Swiss cheeses and kirsh ......... oh wow, I'm drooling.
They're hellish expensive over here.
Now, where did I digress so I can get back to the point. Ah the Languioles Juniper Corkscrew knife OK, we're talking costly - it's not £2.99 from Spar "cos the one in the cutlery drawer just fell to pieces so can you chuck me one in the bag with that bottle of vin, mate."
Superb craftsmanship, folk tale stories behind the design that include Napoleon - if you believe one story, or flies and sheep if you believe the other one. AND churchgoing. I mean, how much story do you usually get in a pocketknife? And it pulls, too.

Just think you go out on the town .. you may not pull, but the knife will - corks, of course!

Back pedal. If you're out on the town ... leave your knife at home, huh?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be right round - my shoulder is a bit stiff, now you mention it. Oh, bugger, you wrote that hours ago - bit too late now, I suppose.

By the way, I think that the male you are looking for is Mayle.

Sun Nov 06, 01:05:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

Too late, too late ... I found a willing recipient of my massage, to help refine technique and test oils mix. I think I went well over the limit for the essential oil drops per 10ml carrier ratio but it just seemed to imbue a sense of euphoria. Of course, it could just be that the nutmeg acted as a stimulant? :)
Good job I didn't get too near the bonfire last night, I might have been tossed on it for a witch!
Mayle!! THAT's the guy!
Thanks, Simon!

Sun Nov 06, 05:52:00 pm 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home