Monday, October 24, 2005

Lucky Heather

Rather than pay the gypsies a £ for a wee sprig of heather I thought it would be nice to pick my own and playing my first round of golf in a couple of years (and a bit), it seemed a good time to take a sprig when visiting Gairloch Golf Course.
What a bonnie wee course. It struck me that it was quicker to get around (even though walking) than the US and Portuguese courses I'd played on ... then again, it was a smallish course. However, it wasn't exactly an easy one.
I didn't t think so, anyway!
There were huge great dips that you didn't know were there (if you'd never played it before) and great inclines to get down and had to ring a bell on the 5th when you'd finished so the people behind knew it was safe to play.
Maybe with some lessons in technique (no ones ever complained about my technique, I may add) I can make the balls go further but at least I was consistent with 7s on most holes!
Stop laughing!

The eighth hole, shown in piccie, is a dog-leg hole running parallel with the beach, then a whacking great dip, then uphill again, of course. Oh lor ... or was this the 9th, pictured? Can anyone read the flag???
Hey, I did par one hole, each time around (9 holes twice).
I stood on the tee mat with my wood ... "You won't need that, it's not far!" said Ian.
"It's OK, it's just a 9 wood." I do love my 9 wood.
I gave the ball a whack and it flew, wheeeeeeee, up in the air and landed on the green. YESSSSS! HAH!
Well, it was great fun and not only did I get my trolley pulled up the hills, I got pulled up 'em too!
I was given the highest handicap to play with.
Y'know, if I'd been given just 20 more, I could have played with Tiger Woods and beaten him???
Oh, I lost my sprig of heather!

3 Comments:

Blogger bluefluff said...

Sorry you lost your heather - just have to pop back for some more, won't you?

Tue Oct 25, 03:33:00 am 2005  
Blogger Wendy said...

The heather is very pretty. It sounds as though you had a great game, too fun. I played golf once in Palm Springs at a very expensive hoity toity course. I gave up after three holes and just walked around looking at all the beautiful sights.

Tue Oct 25, 03:47:00 am 2005  
Blogger Pykspeeks Rides Again said...

OH, Bluefluff, pop back for more heather - now why didn't I think of that???? :)
Is it unlucky to lose your lucky heather??

It's amazing how expensive some courses can be, Wendy. I'm not sure whether that's to cover the cost of keeping the course or to keep out the plebs, maybe a touch of both?
Doesn't always work though, hah, because I've played some of those expensive courses, too.
One was at Palm Beach where a guy playing alone caught us up, as a pair and asked if he could join us. He was a nice guy. Later,waiting to cross the hotel drive (The Breakers, a story from way back)a Rolls Royce which had its front grill covered in every conceivable highway assistance oganisation possible stopped to allow my crossing and inside was my erstwhile golf mate smiling and waving me forward like a Sir Galahad.
It was an enjoyable game and my muscles told me the next day it was very good exercise but I was pretty much crap!!

Tue Oct 25, 08:53:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home