Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Acme Band



A wonderful evening at Fotherby Church which featured The Acme Band playing Bluegrass and Gospel music. Their Acapella pieces (if that's what I mean) were hair raising.

I can't describe the band's sound half so well as the reviewers on their web site (click above to read 'em) but I believe that the the guys have played together only annually (and at this venue) but they are so cohesive after many years of playing together, one wouldn't realise that they don't practice together regularly

They're funny, too!
.
Left to right: Bob Armstrong, Ron Stevens, Bill Forster, John Allen and Brian Curtis.

Bob Armstrong sings and plays a squareneck resonator guitar, also known as a dobro or sometimes a Hawaiian guitar - which gives away the sound it can make - no hula skirts were in evidence though!

Bob's also an award winning professional artist who paints mostly landscapes. I'm amazed that local companies aren't snapping up his works for their boardroom walls. (I did once make that suggestion in an art review I wrote ... ) I've got a local landscape by Bob on MY wall. It's called Sea Buckthorn.
I had recently visited RIMAC a National Nature Reserve, part of the Lincolnshire, Saltfleetby-Theddlethorpe Dunes when I popped along to Fotherby's Art and Music Weekend at St Mary's Church and there displayed was Bob's painting, the exact view that had beguiled me in one of my 'at one with nature' moments (I do have'em occasionally).
Bob and his wife, Ann, also have a beautiful mature woodland garden which the public is able to visit (by appointment). Actually, I think the address contact for Bob on the Acme website needs updating and if anyone would like a copy of the Band's CD's they could just as well contact him through annbobarmstrong@tesco.net.
Ron Stevens plays mandolin, also vocals, Bill, as well as vocals plays a mean banjo and guitar,John Allen is on Double Bass & Vocals, and Brian plays guitar and vocals.

Read the review, a talented bunch of guys.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home